Sunday, August 22, 2010

Papier Mache Necklaces using markers, paint, and varnish

With my first batch of papier mache, I allowed the varnishing to help create the finish.  It blended and swirled the colors into something very nice to look at.  With these beads I used permanent markers and silver and gold metallic ink markers.  Here are a few examples:





I've a new batch of papier mache (see photo's from first post) and these pieces are less pebble-like, the round beads are more uniform, and I've experimented with a few different shapes.  Initially, the necklace below was going to be made into a wind chime or mobile (using several discs instead of just these two), but I put a couple of the discs together and really loved the way it looked as a necklace. 

Here are a few pictures of the necklace.  After the painting had dried, I very, very lightly applied a varnish with a soft brush, and the design and colors remained intact.  I now believe a safer approach would be to use an artists fixative prior to the varnish.  I'm curious to see if there's a difference - I'll be sure to share the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment